Operator – Wet-end
1st Shift (6:30am-5:00pm, M-Th w/mandatory OT)
note – Flexibility is key to the success of our business. Due to customer requirements employees may at times be required to work floating 12-hour shifts.
Machine Operators have responsibility for the overall efficiency, quality, safety, and production of equipment to ensure customer requirements are satisfied and met. Produces conformed products at maximum speed with minimal waste. Machine Operators work closely with the crew and other members of our manufacturing facility to plan, coordinate, and manage processes/production to ensure continuous, safe, and high-quality machine output. The position also serves as a resource and coach to other crew members, and sets the standard for safety, quality, timeliness, and best manufacturing practices (GMP’S) and standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Set up Wet End using tape measures and information found in the job jacket
- Ability to read, write, communicate with others.
- Ability to read a rule, scale or measuring tape (metric/standard)
- Interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and execute as needed.
- Lead and coordinate efforts of crew, as well as train crew members
- Set up of wet and/or dry end
- Ability to run lamination, single face corrugated, understand flute variation, and adhesives
- Operate all necessary testing equipment related to corrugated and laminating
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using who numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Effective use of measurements and tools for each job
- Basic computer skills/data entry
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ability to multi-task, trouble shoot, problem solve, and utilize critical thinking
- Overall operation of equipment and associated instruments, make adjustments on pressure and corrugating roles
- Prepare starch and oversee adhesive application and controls to ensure no clogs/blockages
- Ordering/Loading/Unloading paper rolls
- Check splice performance, machine and paper temperatures, running speeds, alignment, and tension
- Review, interpret, and understand content of job jackets specific to customer orders
- Complete all orders/assignments in a timely and accurate manner
- Ensure quality or production that meets all aspects of specific customer requirements
- Achieve production and efficiency goals
- Troubleshoot equipment
- Set up required machine maintenance and perform routine preventative maintenance
- Perform and maintain records required for GMP’s or ISO, and follow ISO and GMP procedures.
- Support continuous safety and improvement efforts that ensure a safe work environment
This job operates in a manufacturing environment. Temperature is uncontrolled, and there is heat, dust, noise, fumes, moving equipment and machinery.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job: regularly standing, walking, climbing, bending, lifting, pushing/pulling, grasping, reaching at, below or above shoulder level, repetitive use of hands/fingers, visual and/or auditory requirements. Frequently handling up to 25 lbs. of weight, and occasionally 25 to 50 lbs.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work/Other Duties
This is a full-time position with minimal flexibility in work schedules/hours, but the employee should generally be available during the “core” work hours and for 8 or 10 hour shifts, and must agree to variation in work schedules/hours, all duties as assigned, and all overtime. This job description is not comprehensive of all duties, responsibilities, or activities required, all of which may change at any time with our without notice.
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- Equivalent training, certifications, or experience
- 2 to 5 years in an Assistant or Apprenticeship role on comparable equipment